“The real problem is not that we are different, nor that we disagree and have conflict. It's that most of us automatically view conflict as something negative rather than as a tool God can use to help us better understand ourselves and one another.

--Robert Ricciardelli”

Sunday, August 20, 2006

About Me

Well, for a first post--and probably a few later ones--I thought I should introduce myself. Coach seems to be a name that fits me well-- simply because that's what I do. I help people get better at what they do--assuming I have any idea of what that is and some knowledge that can help them. My biggest problem is not recognizing times when those conditions are not met. I discovered this wonderful trait a few years ago when I started coaching youth hockey. It was kind of a whim. I saw a notice on a bulletin board one day, and applied. To this day, there is nothing quite like seeing the light go on in a twelve year old's eyes when he suddenly "gets it". I just wish I had discovered this before I turned 40. I like to help people

I grew up in the Mid-West, and did high school in the Northeast. I joined the Air Force after high school, and spent my entire enlistment on the Gulf Coast. After getting out, I went back to the North East for a few years, then moved to Texas. I've been here 17 years. I've learned to deal with the summer heat. But, I do miss having four seasons, instead of two or two and a half.

I've been a Christian for 17 years. I think its funny when someone asks what my religion is. I say, "Christian." Invariably, the response is, "No, I mean are you Baptist, or Methodist or...what?" No one seems to understand that these are all part of Christianity. The essence of being Christian is that Jesus is Lord, and you have surrendered your life to Him. Going to church does not make you a Christian anymore than living in a garage makes you a car. You can be a Methodist, or Baptist, and not be a Christian. What I find really stunning is that most Christians, or just church goers in general, are oblivious to this.

Well...That was an interesting little rabbit trail...Now, where was I?...Oh, yeah. I've been to ministry school, and college. I've lived out of my car and in street shelters. I've written and published short stories locally. I've written, but not published, country and worship songs. I've worked in construction, project management, warehouse operations, insurance, sales, and now stocks and securities.

And...maybe that's enough for now. A real Weekly Thought will be posted by Wednesday, so stay tuned.