“The real problem is not that we are different, nor that we disagree and have conflict. It's that most of us automatically view conflict as something negative rather than as a tool God can use to help us better understand ourselves and one another.

--Robert Ricciardelli”

Monday, March 26, 2007

03/26 Hockey Notes

(…I’ve been busy as all get out at work this last month or so, and going back to school, so I haven’t had time to comment on the season for a bit. But, with the playoffs roaring up on us, I thought I would take a few minutes and spare some thoughts…)

Alan Muir over at Sports illustrated put an interesting light on Stars-Predators-Modano brouhaha. I’ll give him that Mikey should maybe have been penalized for slashing. But…becoming the highest scoring American ever without recognition is irrelevant? Give me a break. Especially after giving kudos to the Stars for honoring Recchi for #500.
(…this is little more than talking out of both sides of the mouth…)

Here are the current playoff matchups. There are some real interesting pairs at the moment. Does anyone remember how long it’s been since Dallas and Vancouver have played each other in the Second Season? And, with Nashville pretty well ensconced in first place in the West, wouldn’t it be interesting to see them play the Avs? And how far will Atlanta and Pittsburgh get?
(…how about Buffalo against either one of them for the Eastern championship…and Nashville against Anaheim for the West…)

For those who may have been too busy to keep up with all the trades at the deadline, The Hockey News provides this recap. They also provide their analysis of who were the winners and losers of all the trades.

Still over at The Hockey News, there was this interesting article on the role of fighting in North American professional hockey. I say it that way because there is no fighting allowed in College or European hockey. I’ve never had a problem with guys losing their tempers and swapping knuckles. They put some time in the box to cool off, and the game goes on. The thing I never liked—and I grew up with the bench clearing stuff of the sixties and seventies—was sending someone out to start a fight to get fans riled up. I’m glad to see that level of violence gone from the game. My personal opinion is as long as penalties fit the crime, I think it will be OK.
(…everyone is welcome to weigh in with their opinion on this one, of course…)