“The real problem is not that we are different, nor that we disagree and have conflict. It's that most of us automatically view conflict as something negative rather than as a tool God can use to help us better understand ourselves and one another.

--Robert Ricciardelli”

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Election Thoughts Part 3

Now for the third installment of the series…
My Election Thoughts Part 1
My Election Thoughts Part 2


Seventh Issue: Environmentalism.
(…if you read issue number six, I bet you’re wondering where I’m going with this…Well, so do I, since I really didn’t go anywhere in number six…)

I believe we have to manage the resources we have. It is known fact industrial pollution is causing the acid rain and smog and etc. Any politician who stands in denial of that needs to immediately be voted out of office. But, any pollution goals set must be reachable, without punishing to the point of eliminating corporate growth (…one of my main beefs with the Kyoto Accords…). And, I think it needs to be done without government subsidies (i.e. tax breaks) for most major industries.

I think oil and energy companies need to be pressured by the people—not just the Feds (…God help us for making the Feds do everything for us…)--into upgrading their facilities. Record profits should be used for industry improvement, not just stockholder wealth—or the corporate image on Wall Street. Just bringing some of those industries up to current technology would do a lot to reduce pollution. It would also create a lot of jobs, and get money flowing through into the economy.

(…heh, heh…call it expanded trickle down, maybe?...the environment improves…there’s some income/wealth redistribution…economic growth occurs…WOW!...a real win-win…imagine such a thing! And BOTH political parties get what they want!...probably won’t happen then…too bad.)

Eighth Issue: Immigration.
I’ll be blunt. Anyone who comes into this country ILLEGALLY deserves no rights and privileges beyond the bare necessities to get them back to their home country, including the protections of personal safety. Scream all they want to if you don’t like my stance—I really don’t care. To the screamers, my question is this: when did ILLEGAL entrants get to be more important than the rules set up to maintain social order? Environmental groups and others are coming out against the kind of immigration America is undergoing. Personally, I see it this way: people from other countries coming here and refusing to obey the rules, and refusing to become part of the culture of America and instead demanding that we become part of theirs. Sorry, they came to my home. They can follow the rules of my home. If they don’t like that, they can go back. (..on an additional note…since SSI is an insurance plan, and insurance is only supposed to be for those who pay the premiums…why do immigrants who have not worked a day in America instantly become eligible for ALL the benefits? That level of “kindness” is a big part of helping bankrupt Medicaid/Medicare and SSI for those of us who have paid into the system…And, you can thank the Democrats for all the changes allowing it, too…I’ll post on that at a later date…someone remind me…please…)

Ninth Issue: Gun Control.
As I recall (and I couldn’t find the reference), someone at the time of the Columbine massacre stated something like 40 state and federal firearms laws had been broken to commit that atrocity. May I ask (…and I know I’m not the first to do it…), what another gun-control law is going to do to make a difference? I agree with what a lot of people at the NRA and other Right-wing groups have said: enforce the laws we have, before we make another one. Having said that (…to throw water on rejoicing at the NRA…) one specific change I would endorse would be limitations on sales at gun shows. With enough strong personal information protections (…for government and business…), I would endorse cross state sharing of information to keep felons from getting weapons. But, total gun control? NOT!

Well…That’s enough for now…I think…I’ll get to education and some other things next time…

My Election Thoughts Part 4